Friday, November 03, 2006

Breezing

I just picked up the new Al Jarreau + George Benson CD entitled "givin' it up". It is extraordinary, not good, extraordinary, the lineup of musucians alone made me buy it, without hearing any of the tunes first. I couldn't see how that group could go wrong, included are Herbie Hancock, Marcus Miller, Patrice Rushen, Paulinho DaCosta, Stanley Clarke, Patti Austin, Jill Scott, Chris Botti, and so on. The material ranges from R+B to Smooth Jazz to Straight Ahead Bop. Highlights include; covers of Miles Davis 'Tutu' and 'Four', an instrumental cover of John Legends' 'Ordinary People', Seal and Crofts 'Summer Breeze' and Hall and Oates 'Every Time You Go away'. Great tunes, well played. I've also been absolutely in love with Joy Denalane, the German Soul singer. Her album 'Mamani' and its live DVD counterpart are very much worth the effort necessary to track them down. I also can't wait for Lura's new album which should be out soon. I also recently revised the poem below 'The man with the Blues Guitar' it is actually a decent poem now.

1 comment:

DAN / DANIEL GUTSTEIN said...

Joel,

Just knocking around on your blog for some poetry in advance of your reading at GW on Weds. Looking forward to it. I've been working on, for the past 2 years, a four or five CD jump music compilation -- aka the saxophone driven rock n roll before "Elvis." I'll get you a copy when I'm done. Should be before Christmas. All right. See you in a couple two three days.

Dan Gutstein